Types of Treatment
Work Conditioning and FCE
The Industrial Rehabilitation Program at Tallahassee Orthopedic & Sports Physical Therapy is designed to meet the needs of our industry, insurance companies, case management, physician and patient clientele.
From the first visit to a TOSPT clinic, the focus of the therapist is to return the injured worker to full capacity and back to his original job swiftly.
By utilizing a sports medicine approach to industrial rehabilitation services, the TOSPT program can reduce the number of claims, reduce lost workdays due to injury, and expedite a return to full capacity at work for the injured worker.The sports medicine approach patterns itself on the model used by athletic associations. The injured worker (athlete) is evaluated, educated and then treated for his injury by a physical or occupational therapist as soon as possible to decrease pain and the chance of further injury. This approach accelerates the healing process both physically and mentally, putting the injured worker back to work faster. Once the injured worker has reached his full potential for recovery in rehabilitation, he is then reconditioned based on the specific requirements of his job so he can return to his prior functional work status.
TOSPT also offers employers on-site physical therapy if necessary and space is provided. On-site job assessments, injury screening and ergonomics assessments are also some of the services offered. TOSPT has agreements with several employers to do pre-employment screenings, work reconditioning when needed, and functional capacity type testing. Wellness programs can be designed by our therapists to fit the needs of the employer and the positions.
TOSPT is a member of most of the Workers’ Comp network panels and has contracts with numerous managed care organizations.
- Extended hours for easy off-duty scheduling.
- Direct access to a rehabilitation coordinator for employers, case managers, adjustors and physicians.
- Evaluations scheduled within 24 hours of insurance authorization.
- Qualified to stand behind our opinions during the legal process.
- Exceptional, functionally oriented rehabilitation for the injured worker.
- Work reconditioning.
- Functional capacity testing.
- Custom designed pre-employment screening.
- Wellness and injury prevention educational programs.
Physical Work Performance Evaluation™
Physical Capacity Assessments are valuable tools in helping the physician, case manager and employer come to an unbiased, objective determination regarding their client and the degree of his ability and commitment to return to his level of function prior to an accident. A key testing tool used for this assessment is a standardized Functional Capacity Evaluation developed by ErgoScience and is called the Physical Work Performance Evaluation™. The basic features of the PWPE™ include standardization, objectivity, efficiency, safety, reliability and validity to ensure that it is clinically acceptable. The ErgoScience Physical Work Performance Evaluation™ is a standardized, reliable FCE backed by published validation research conducted at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. It requires 4 hours of an ErgoScience certified clinician to administer.
The evaluation consists of of 7 sections testing the subject’s:
- Dynamic Strength
- Position Tolerance
- Fine Motor Skills
This test can be used to:
- Determine work performance after an injury or illness.
- Make return-to-work recommendations.
- Develop levels and goals for work conditioning rehabilitation.
- Determine qualifications for disability compensation.
- Facilitate case closure.
- Document self-limiting behavior.
Upon completion of the Physical Capacity Assessment, the client is provided a summary letter addressing the subject’s performance. It provides information on overall level of work, level of participation, performance levels for each of the 21 main tasks, job related information, and interventions for consideration. Attached to this summary letter are summary forms to provide detailed information on subject performance for each task of the evaluation.
Who Benefits from a Functional Capacity Evaluation?
- Someone seeking to return to work after an injury or illness.
- Someone applying for Social Security Disability benefits.
- Someone injured in a catastrophic accident (i.e., automobile accident) for whom an FCE can determine performance skills and abilities related to resuming former employment or a new job.
- Someone seeking vocational rehabilitation services.
- Students receiving transitional services from school to the work setting to determine their skills and the extent of support required to perform in a job.
Ready to start feeling like yourself again? TOSPT is here to help.
Here’s what some of our patients had to say
“Without Teresa Adams, PTA, helping me rehab from my ACL tear last year, I wouldn’t have had a senior football season or been part of the State Championship Cowboys Team.”
I found that the staff of TOSPT are supportive, knowledgeable, friendly, and really care how one is progressing.
After my 2nd shoulder surgery, I was lucky enough to work with TOSPT. I came back stronger than ever before and pursue my dream of competing with Team U.S.A Bobsled.
Not only did you guys make my foot feel better, but you warmed my heart and encouraged me during a very difficult time in my life.
My experience at TOSPT was awesome! Before PT, I was not able to walk without an ankle brace or walk in my heels. Now I’m able to do both thanks to Julian and the staff.